Last week I finally got to meet some of our school librarians in person at the Learning Resource Centre (LRC) Connect group meeting. Jane Robinson, librarian at Beaumont Leys School, kindly hosted the meeting which gave us all a chance to admire her library space. The meeting was an opportunity for library and other relevant to staff to come together and share the projects that are going on within their library spaces. At this meeting I also gave my first presentation on Augmented Reality in the Learning Resource Centre.
I have blogged about the meeting on the council’s blog site and thought I would talk here about the resources I created for the meeting.
For the meeting, I prepared a presentation using Prezi – this is a tool that I have used many times in the past and I feel that it is a more dynamic presenting tool than Powerpoint. There is something about the tool that aids looking at the bigger picture whilst also examining its individual parts. I also opened my presentation up to the public and asked for feedback – which admittedly I didn’t get a lot of but what I did receive was useful. I also enjoyed the openness of sharing my presentation (via twitter and prezi) for anyone to comment on – particularly when I saw that people I don’t even know had retweeted my request and were passing my work along to their peers.
Within the presentation I created a screencast demonstrating the ease with which you can create a QR code. The screencast itself took me a while to get to grips with. I used screenr to make my screencast – which is fairly simple to use, my main difficulty was getting over my own nerves at recording myself (and therefore my constant slip ups and mumblings). It took me quite a few takes but I got there in the end.
I also showed some clips relating to an Augmented Reality (AR) app called Aurasma which uses your device’s camera to recognise ‘trigger’ images and then play the linked content (which can be a video, animation, etc.). At the time I hadn’t created any resources for using this tool as there are more steps involved and I didn’t want to create resources if they weren’t going to generate any interest. As it happens the group were interested in Aurasma and I have since been asked to create some resources (so I will more than likely be blogging about those soon).